Monday, November 1, 2010

Alcohol more harmful than heroin & ganja

Professor Nutts co-authored a study to determine what is the TRUE damage caused by Alcohol compared to a variety of narcotics; ecstasy, LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide), heroin, cocaine and 15 others. His motivation for conducting this investigation was driven by the fact he was 'still toting feelings' from his former job (Cheif Drugs Advisor).
The damage caused by alcohol & narcotics were rated based on a scale of 1-100, in the following categories:
a) Physical damage (ability to kill) & Mental damage
b) Addiction
c)Crime (contribution to crime)
d) Economical Costs
e) Community related costs


The outcome on the ranking scale 1-100*
#74 Alcohol
#54 Crack
#55 Heroin
#33 Crystal Meth
#27 Cocaine
#26 Tobacco   
#20 Cannabis (ganja, weed, marijuana)
#13 Meowmeow (Mephedrone) 
-----etc------
Interestingly enough, Professor Nutt is in the view that
"aggressively targeting alcohol harms is a valid and a necessary public health strategy. Therefore, a new classification system should reflect the set of harms (to self or others) you are trying to reduce".
The finding of this investigation was quite interesting and I would love to get my hands on a copy of the full report because I have a few unanswered questions, one being how was alcohol defined?. Considering a few weeks ago I read a study that says alcohol, primarily wine is okay to consume on a regulated basis while pregnant. (*_0)
At the end of the day, the primary factor driving alcohol use and the undermining of its harm is public perception. Without a doubt, the general perception on alcohol is that, it's a legal substance, it takes the edge off and it's not a REAL drug. Leading to alcohol being easily available and not heavily regulated in terms of its access and use when compared to narcotics. 
*100 being most damaging & 1 being least damaging





Sources:
 Alcohol ‘more harmful to society’ than heroin. Available: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/845736-alcohol-more-harmful-to-society-than-heroin. Last accessed 1st Nov 2010. 
Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt. Available: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210. Last accessed 1st Nov 2010.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is crazy... Not surprised though.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I definitely saw this article, and like the commenter above, I wasn't too shocked. I've seen the damage that alcohol can do to a person, several times. I'd much rather my son or daughter smoke marijuana than go out and get drunk!! Seriously.

Sey said...

agreed