Saturday, May 5, 2012

Television Shows I'm watching...lately

Reality television shows may have a booming audience but sometimes nothing beats a good scripted television show. The concepts, drama, story-lines, fantasy, costuming and characters are the things that suck you in when it comes to a scripted television show but it takes a good plot to keep you in-tuned. Anyway, thanks to the internet, I am able to stream and play catch up on episodes I may have missed. I am always on the look-out for a new series/show. Here some of the shows I am currently viewing, some I enjoy out right and some I am not sure about as yet but I am not quite ready to quit tuning in.

Once Upon A Time and Grimm
After, reading about their fantasy/fairy-tale premise on Yahoo, I was not impressed. Hence, the reason I tuned in late. I started tuning in to both shows, in February and I am surprised that I actually enjoy them. Whilst, their concepts and characters are folklore inspired and fairy-tale based, their story-lines are very different. ABC's Sunday night Once Upon A Time is charming and romance/drama based. I thoroughly enjoy the  manner in which each character is developed. In essence, if you grew up on loving fairy-tales (Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin etc) then this show would have a nostalgic feel. Whereas, NBC's Friday night Grimm is a some-what dark, action based, crime-drama.
Side-note: Rumpelstiltskin, is my favourite character on Once Upon A Time, the guy who plays him (Robert Carlyle) does the character justice.
Memorable Line: " All curses can be broken no matter how strong" Rumpelstiltskin

Game of Thrones (HBO)
Season one was unexpectedly good. Season two, is progressing too slow for my liking. Honestly, I am considering compiling the episodes so I can view it marathon style (back-to back) once the season has concluded.
Memorable Line: "A Lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the Sheep" Tywin Lannister

Girls (HBO)
Upon viewing the first episode, my thoughts were "um.....okay?" and "what a weird and slightly gloomy show". However, I am not ready to give up on it as yet after-all, I enjoyed episode three especially the dance scene at the end. Side-note: This may sound shallow but I secretly wish the males on the show were more attractive.
Memorable Line: "All adventurous women do" Hanna

Prisoner's Wives (BBC1)
I stumbled upon this show by random. Judging from the show's title, I thought it was a reality based show but to my surprised it was not. It's a short intriguing series (six episodes ) in which every episode, offers you something different whilst building on the stuff revealed previously. Gemma and Francesca characters' were a joy to watch, while Harriet's timid and very odd demeanor was frustrating. At times, I felt like saying " get a back-bone already!, Yes, you made mistakes raising your son but you should not hold yourself responsible for his poor choices"

The Ringer (CW) (cancelled)
This show was a creeper meaning as the plot thickened, the more intriguing the show got. However, if it does not get a second season I would not miss it.
The Secret Circle (CW) (cancelled)
As far as I see it, this show is frustrating to sit through. It is filled with a limited number of highs and a good amount of lows. Some of the lows are the way spells are cast (the chanting is annoying), the weird way Cassie gets when casting spells and the story-line. I do not know why I have not abandoned the show as yet. I would admit, if I was a teenager, I would be enjoying this.
The Killing (AMC)
I started watching this in April and the mysteriously gloomy but intriguing story-line had me hooked but now I am slowly losing interest. I wish they would reveal what happened to Rosie already. Who is her killer?

Suburgatory (ABC)
A funny sit-com with likeable characters.
Revenge (ABC)
I am sold on the fact that you never know what is Emily's next move. I enjoy watching her plans unfold. However, at the same time, you can help but  feel sad that she cannot let go of her deep seated anger. The female leads are doing their roles justice - Emily and Victoria. I am secretly wishing that they would give us more insight into Victoria's past. I would be refreshing to see her be less of an ice queen.

The River (ABC)(cancelled)
This show is certainly  different and very short. It started out slowly but once the weird, paranormal activities start occurring you become intrigued. However, the appeal of the show's concept dwindled somewhat by episode six/ seven. I must admit, in terms of the ending the crew deserved what they got.



Scandal (ABC), GCB (ABC) (cancelled), The Client List (Lifetime)
I am in the fence with these. I do not dislike the shows but at the same time, I am not sold on their individual plot/story-lines. In terms of:
Scandal, at first I was turned off by the adulterous story-line of Ms Pope but as the plot becomes increasingly mysterious I am over that fact. Character-wise, the cast is missing something I am not sure what but personality-wise I do not like any of the characters.
GCB, is entertaining but at times the religious undertone is slightly over bearing and non-nonsensical.
The Client List, is a borderline snooze feast. The story-line lacks excitement and intensity.

.
.
.
Since the season is almost over for most of these shows, I am eager to see which ones except Game of Thrones and The Killing would be getting a second season.

No comments: