Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My 5 'Favourite' Live Action Films

I do not particularly care for  Live Action films due to their fantasy, animation and reality-combined concept. For me, it is a major distraction and turn-off .
In case, you are wondering what are Live-Action films, according to good ole' Wikipedia
"a Live-Action film is  a motion picture that integrates animated actors or concepts in with humanoid actors or elements"...not all Live-Action films are action based, mind you.
Anyway, here are my exceptions; the list below is in no particular order:


1) Jumanji  1995 (54% RT)
Starred Kirsten Dunst and Robin Williams and it was indeed an adventurous joy to watch. Yes, I must admit the plot is thin and builds up slowly, but the special effects are vivid enough to tickle any child's senses. Whilst, I may have seen this countless times during my childhood, honestly, to this day when I watch it, it takes me back to my childhood when playing boardgames was a must. Every-time I re-watch it, I always try to figure out "what is the deal with Van Pelt?." Regardless,  Jumanji is simply fun to watch from beginning to end. NB: I also enjoyed the cartoon TV series.

2) Small Soldiers 1998 (46% RT)
Kirsten Dunst was my primary motivation for wanting to see this . I admit I was a huge Kirsten Dunst fan, but I mean who was not during the 90s . Small Soldiers, was not a bad watch at all, everything worked well towards my enjoyment. The animation is convincing  despite the absurd plot but it builds on the children's trend of thought or Toy Story concept of toys being alive and they have a life of their. I enjoyed the dialogue and the fantasy violence.  Honestly, I have seen this a number of times because one, I do not have cable TV and two it shows every year around  the Christmas/New Year season. Regardless, it is a  holiday must watch, for me. NB: I loved ♥ Tommy Lee Jones ♥as Chip


3) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 2005 (66% RT)
I recently saw this (2009 or 2008) and I was visually-stimulated by the CGI effects and the dialogue. I remember disliking the  younger brother (Peter I think his name was?). But the character I was most drawn to was the white witch (Tilda Swinton).
4) Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie 1995 (42%RT)
I do not know any child of the 90's that did not enjoy the Power Rangers, be it the TV series or the Movies or action figures. Power Rangers, was a believable live action series when I was child and whilst. I have not seen this recently I remember,  wanting to be a Pink Ranger. I loved Tommy and all the drama that came along with him being a good/bad ranger....(Green Ranger-White Ranger, Good Ranger- Evil Ranger). Anyway long live those good ole childhood memories.
5) The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 2008
The 'fanta-scape' is entertaining though the dialogue was somewhat nagging and childish, but I still enjoyed it. Do I have the strength to re-watch it, probably not.

PS: RT refers to Rotten Tomatoes

2 comments:

Jolie K. said...

ooohweee jumanji was my isht! I can still watch it till this day! I used to watch the mess outa the cartoon on UPN lmao and you took me back with the power rangers! those were the days [sigh] =]

Sey said...

good ole days indeed