Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve- 2010 Reflections

I feel like crap at the moment, so I'm  doubtful I am going to work today. sigh!
Looking back at last New Years eve, I worked in a kitchen and it was CRAZY! Hot and Terribly BUSY...sigh! but a great experience.
This year has been an intriguing year for me: 
⌦ 2010 started out with me interning/working as a Food Preparation Assistant/Line Cook at T.G.I.Friday
It was indeed an unforgetable experience, that opened my eyes to the world of REAL work and the drama/bacchanal that exists in a work place. At the end of the day, I made some interesting acquaintances and the experience has been helpful in me attaining my job at the moment.
⌦ 2010 started out with me beginning my Post-Grad education
Reflecting on the subject area I selected, I realise that it is not for me. I am constantly bored in the classes and usually not motivated to do the assignments. Hence the reason, why my grades suffered this semester. Oh well, I will re-gain my glory in the upcoming semester.
⌦ I became a Sport Volunteer 
I am not a sport junkie or sport fan by any means; I decided to go out on a limb and volunteer myself:
        ⌲ Under-17 women's FIFA World  Cup that was hosted in Trinidad and Tobago in September. It was indeed an interesting but tiring experience because I was responsible for chaperoning the Ball kids during the game. The best thing bout this experience was that I worked 2 days (opening and closing days) and I got free sporting gear: Sneakers, Bag, Water-proof hoodie jacket, Track pants, Cap and a memorabilia ID/pass .
       ⌲  I also, volunteered for a marathon- UWI International Half Marathon.The rain restricted my duties on this day by a long shot. Considering I worked at the medal tent. I got a free brightly coloured orange jersey to show for it.


⌦ I worked for a brief time at Coldstone Creamery Trinidad
This was the most unforgettable work experience of my life. Hence the reason I lasted only 9 days at that job site. To this day, I cannot bring myself to venture in any of the outlets. Lesson Learnt: Never underestimate the factor of being treated unfairly in the work place.
⌦ 2010 started with a good amount of savings
My school fees wiped out my savings, and it has been a struggle ever since. Hopefully the new year brings some good fortune in terms of me re-building my savings. (I started working 3 weeks ago, so no pay as yet...sigh!)
 
⌦ I went on a number of job interviews this year
After each one, I learnt how to modify my answers so that they are more in tune with the questions. I still need to work on my nerves though. 
..............................................................................................................................
Here is EXCERPT from one my Job Interviews:
● 1st Interviewer: Tell us, what can you bring to __ __ restaurant?
● My Answer: I am not too familiar with __ __ (the named restaurant) but I can bring myself..............(I paused for about 2 seconds ) and my experience of working in a commerical kitchen before.

● 2nd Interviewer :  What didn't you like about working in TGIF Restaurant?
● My answer: Well I do not like the heat, especially on the sauté and broil station.
● 2nd Interviewer: The heat! Well we specialise in grilling and frying which means heat, lots of heat.

To say the least I did not get that job 
 .............................................................................................................................................................


No comments: